Powered by Blogger.

About Me

My photo
Happy wife and lover of doggie named Walle.

Supernatural

By | 11/26/2014 3 comments
My best friend Angela and I went to see Supernatural. Supernatural is a play set in New York that captures the testimonies of seven women as they explicate their natural hair journeys. Through their hair experiences, you come to appreciate a culture of people questioning beauty conformity, fighting it, and learning to accept themselves and others, as created.

I was initially intrigued because the story included a bi-racial character. However, when it came to the bi-racial character, I felt like they breezed over some topics that could have been explored more, perhaps without even realizing it. There was a story there that didn't get shared.
We went au natural for the show!
Let me go back to me and Angela. You see, Angela and I have been friends since third grade.  And yeah, she’s pretty awesome. Between the two of us, we have tried just about every hair product out there. We’ve been through thick and thin together and have logged years and years of conversations about hair, and other things. Growing up, Angie was the only person with hair like mine, and although our hair differed from each other’s, it was unique in that it was bi-racial hair.  Over the years, conversations about hair lent way to deeper conversations about ethnicity, identity… and beauty.

Through it all, I have come to value natural beauty and respect store-bought beauty as well. I’ve also come to really understand that external beauty is fleeting. And well... there is so much more to all of this--perhaps it's better left for another post. Supernatural was a great experience and provided a good look at natural hair, through the perspective of black women.

Details
We bought our tickets through GoldStar at half-price // Show was held in Los Angeles at The Attic //Angela and I have hair-chatted for over 20 years and our latest thing is sharing YouTube videos. // Here’s one of our favorites: Shameless Maya's Curly Hair Routine
Newer Post Older Post Home

3 comments:

  1. I liked the line that said the story of "our" hair is just the beginning of a deeper conversation. It's not about vanity but identity and we allow ourselves to define that for us. I loved Zuri Alexander's portrayal of a preacher's wife dealing with perfectionism and illness. The subject matter was multilayered . I agree with you that bi-racial voice was lacking something. But all in all worth seeing! maybe I'll vlog about it ;) I SEE YOU!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *It's not about vanity but identity and what we allow to define that for us.

      Delete
    2. Yes, yes, and YES! I think the line that you're quoting really captured it for me, as well. Regarding hair, some may view this as a topic that is somewhat unique to black women, but I think it's an important question for all and can be applied to speak to beauty, in general. Yes, "It is not about vanity, but identity, and what we allow to define that for us." This opens the door for many more questions, healthy questions, that we can and maybe should be asking ourselves. Thank you so much for adding this.

      I've also got to add that I agree that Zuri Alexander was amazing and I just loved her character.

      I would love to hear you vlog this

      Delete